Home MyStudio Family MyStudio

Saturday, February 28, 2009























This is Mary Wicks ~ Canham, my grandmother, with her "rabbit bears" and the last teddy she ever made. Mary was a factory teddy bear maker in England in the late 1930's. Mid 1940's after her marriage to my grandfather she moved to Toronto, Ontario Canada and continued to make bears my entire life. It was inevitable that I would end up with the bears as my companions and after she left us I got serious about my designs and love for them. I was left her machine, her patterns and all of her tools and that was my final push to try one of my own for the first time. I was very lucky to have her as a mentor and miss her daily however the bears are my connection to her and every moment I am working on them, she is right there by my side.


No comments:

Post a Comment